Thursday, September 17, 2009

(2).Academics- Learning the Easy way

I suppose our 11th was a period of uncertainty to the school managements; because for a long period of time we had no idea who our teachers were to be.
The worst problem was with Physics.
We were to have two teachers for every subject. One of the Physics teachers was Rekha miss. She took the 1st textbook. I think there is some kind of 'mujjanma bhandham' between us. She joined our school in 9th as our Physics teacher. She was also Feby's classteacher that year, in 2nd standard. The next year she became my classteacher in 10th. Then in 11th she again became my Physics teacher and Feby's classteacher in 4th. In 12th again she became my classteacher. Now I've left school and Rekha miss is once again Feby's classteacher, in 6th. Result: My mother gets to meet her every year, for the open house.
We were comfortable with Rekha miss because we'd known her for the past two years. She used to repeat 'And see' very often.
The other Physics teacher was a problem. First there came a teacher who took the first part of stress and strain. She talked about 'chakka molinji' and 'mailanchi' in class once. Then she left. For a long time we'd no Physics teacher. And then Vidya miss came. Because she was very short and because we had a Maths Vidya miss too, we called her 'chottu miss', of course she didn't know that. Nicey used to scold us, saying that we shouldn't disrespect our teachers. Anyway we'd many more names, like 'Sarasammaama' and 'Bhasku'.

We didn't like chottu miss's class. She always carried the text book with her as if she wasn't sure of the derivations herself. Anyway not much of the potion was covered. Towards the end of the year I and Dhanya would learn Physics on our own during her classes, and more than once, she caught us and scolded us.

For Chemistry we'd Savitha miss. We were frightened of her because we'd attended her classes for a short while during 10th vacation. Besides Ann had a scary story to say of her:
It was in 7th. Savitha miss was their Chemistry teacher. Once she asked some question or explained something and asked if anyone had any doubt. Ann stood up; then miss asked her to come to the Chemistry lab and beat her!!
So we were frightened of her from the beginning.

After Savitha miss's first class, our thoughts were like: 'God! How we used to complain of Anurag Sir's classes; but he was an absolute angel when we compare with her.'

But by and by we became much more used to Savitha miss and by the time 12th started we'd all become quite fond of her.

Our other Chemistry teacher was Raji miss. She was a new teacher too. Now, we weren't frightened of her at all. She didn't even know enough Malayalam to scold us; but she was terrified of us. Poor teacher! I've always felt sorry for her. But gradually she learned courage and by the end of 11th we used to get frequent scoldings from her too (ala muttiyaal cherayum kadikkum!!!).


Saraswathy miss was our classteacher. She took Botany. She thought we were still in lower primary or something. She used to write complaints to our parents in the diary if we didn't answer questions and ask us to bring it signed for the next day!! Even I used to put my mother's sign myself on the answer papers.

But we were really fond of Saraswathy miss. Especially since our Zoology teacher was Bhaskaran Sir.

Bhaskaran sir is a legend, literally and figuratively. He's really ancient, has had even a by-pass surgery!! He was very knowledgeable but we couldn't understand a single word he said. It was all hazy. I and Nicey were very excited during the first periods. We used to go sit in the front bench during the first two weeks, so that we could listen better. We slogged through them somehow, but after a fortnight 'aavesham chornnu poyi' and I left Nicey in the front and became happy with the backbenches. I and Dhanya used to usually pass the time learning to write with our left hand; Dhanya became highly accomplished in the art. Later we used to read Library books and even Kalikudukka. One of the Bhasku periods, on Wednesday, I think, was just after the 1st interval, and there used to be a lot of samosa passing among the boys.


The Biology lab was the venue of many of our 'kuruthakkedu' of course, we were all really attached to it. Bhasku usually took us there because he couldn't carry the projector to our class. Afterward we'd have interval and we'll run to the canteen and clamor for samosa or cutlet or uzhunnuvada.


For Maths, we had Nisha miss and Vidya miss and I was very happy to have them because I'd been afraid maybe we'll get Geossy miss. Nisha miss was a bit slow, but her classes were very good. Maths classes were combined with the Commerce students and usually Ragi and Aswathy would sit behind me and copy from my notes.


For English, we started having Vice Principal's classes and they were very boring, frankly. She used to drone and on about 'Portrait of an Old Lady'. Besides, she would ask questions daily too. Literature was still Shobha miss's 'kutthaka' but we'd learned her ways by then and by God's mercy, we didn't have Golden, so we adjusted quite well.

Beside the school, I had three tutions- Physics, Chemistry, Maths.
Maths was of course, as ever, with Sreelatha miss, so that was no problem adjusting. But this time, of course, I was coming from Kombara, because of house-shifting and hence I took to line bus. For the first part of 11th, I went by PVM. Neethu and Greeshma used to come by the same bus too. And Aswathy. Sometimes Deepak too. But some days Neethu'll go with her father and I'll get a lift and I'll climb behind her on the bike and cling to her like a 'kuttikkurangu' all the way to Mannathikkulam.
Me, Greeshma, Neethu, Ragi and Ann, in the beginning, used to come back to school by auto. We used to get books from Dowlin, Gayathri, Soumya Jose etc to carry too. Our autodriver knew Ambika miss and Neethu would try to wheedle out some inside information from him sometimes.

I went to Physics tuition at Divakaran sir's and I warmed up tp him immediately; I really liked his classes and wasn't at all sad that his potions lagged, because what he taught, he taught well.

And he was very funny too.
We also had Chemistry tuitions there with Saji sir. They were a complete fiasco!! Half the time he wouldn't come for the classes and we'd sit idly. If he did come, well, the classes weren't bad, but he didn't stick to the CBSE syllabus. If sir was going to be absent, he'd ring up Divakaran sir at his home, during our class. And towards the end of the year, I and Neethu would wait eagerly to hear the phone ring, all during the Physics class, to know if the Chemistry class has been cancelled. By January, I think, we quit Saji sir or maybe he gave up on us...

After Divakaran sir's class, I and Neethu would walk home. We used to discuss all sorts of stuff. Sometimes we'd talk about Yathu or Akhil; and I'll ask her repeatedly if she hadn't felt any soft corner towards either of them, ever, and she'll say again and again, no, God promise, no... And she'll ask me the same thing about Aswin, and I'll answer exactly like she had. Stupid girls, honestly, we had absolutely no other worries, so we just philosophied on about anything that came into our minds... I had no idea what the future would make of me or my heart...


Ever since I'd put in the 'kaalukudungaalu' episode Greeshma has been threatening me. She says I have absolutely no right to play the heroine at her expense. So I've decided not to mention her at all, unless of course she has a direct bearing upon any of my ventures, 'Avalude Tankukal' for instance. (Aah... nee angane aashvasikanda, athu njan ezhuthenne cheyyum. athinte copyright avakaasam eniku maathramullathaanu, and maybe a bit for Felicia... Don't think I'll 'adachupootal' this blog without elaborating upon that!)

5 comments:

  1. Avalude tankukal ezhuthiyllenkil ninne njaan kollum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enthu patti??blog pootiyo??please continue ur stories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. he wouldn't come for the classes and we'd sit idly.
    sit idly? I wud eat it if I were u!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ee blog adachu pootiyo???????????...............

    ReplyDelete